Grissini Breadsticks are highly recommended by Dr. Simeons on for people on the HCG diet. Here’s how to make them simply and quickly, and notice there’s only a teaspoon of sugar in 4 dozen sticks! And they make a nice handy, take-it-with-you treat.
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
Total time: 55 minutes, plus rising time
Servings: Makes 4 dozen breadsticks
1. In a large bowl, combine the water with the yeast, sugar and one-half cup of the all-purpose flour. Set aside for 10 minutes, until bubbly.
2. Stir in the remaining all-purpose flour, wheat flour, olive oil and salt and knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. Wash out the bowl and coat it with a thin layer of olive oil. Place the dough in the bowl, cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise in a warm place for 1 hour.
3. Remove the dough from the bowl and divide it into four pieces on a floured surface. Roll out each piece into a rectangle, 4 by 12 inches. Cut the dough lengthwise into one-third-inch-wide strips. Place the strips about one-half-inch apart on a greased baking sheet or a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Repeat with the remaining dough. Allow the grissini to rise until puffed, about 30 minutes. Meanwhile, heat the oven to 400 degrees.